Sunday, January 24, 2010

Fox Run Soap & Sundries

You know... something I realized tonight...

The new soap... it's dulling down some of my OCD.

Most people who know me know I've got a nasty germ phobia. I mean, I'm not quite Adrian Monk but I have my days where I come darn close. So, when I have to do things like clean a litterbox or some other mess my brain reads as "germ-ridden", I used to have to wash my hands several times, using dose after dose of regular soap. Over and over till I either felt clean enough, or had to consciously force myself to stop on the insistence that surely my hands must be clean by now even if I don't feel like it. Even with antibacterial soap I had this problem. Even with other bar soap I had this problem.

But now... this plain, old-fashioned, no-frills natural lye soap... moreso the regular bars I ordered than the floral scented one (psychological I suppose)... I clean up a mess... I wash my hands... once. MAYBE twice.

That's it.

No more.

My hands feel cleaner when I wash with it.

The soap itself washes cleaner, leaves less residue on my hands.

But I don't feel as germy.

Now, I know lye has certain natural antibacterial properties... but it's not that I think of it as an antibacterial soap.

It just feels cleaner. I don't know why. It just does.

Granted, I do have a certain compulsion at the moment to go use it. But not because I think my hands need cleaned. More because I just adore the feel of it, the muted, almost waxy smell of it. The creamy texture of the lather, so different from what I'm used to.

And it's okay.

Because it doesn't tear my hands up like other soaps. God already I can't wait to show James. He's seen how dry and cracked and bloody and chapped by hands can get in the middle of winter. Now... there's still a few dry spots, but nothing's flaking or cracking or scaly anymore. My hands are soft. They actually look like a woman's hands for a change.

And the bath oil/cream/soap, whatever you wish to call it (Blooming Bath is how it's listed on her site) - I had been bathing in olive oil before that to try and curb the dry skin and it didn't really last. Plus made the tub all slippery, made me all oily which was okay if I didn't have to go anywhere, less so if I didn't want everything sticking to me. But this stuff... the moisture stays... everything's less dry. EVERYTHING. And it doesn't leave that oily film all over my skin and my bath.

And every part of me just feels cleaner.

Hopefully James has no problems with it and won't put up much fuss (can't imagine he will) - I think the Fox Run products are going to be a permanent fixture in my home... I can't go back now... it's that good. For the Corner Gas fans out there: it's bumped me into a new soap bracket.

And I'm loving every minute of it.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/FoxRunSoaps

I've become a walking ad. lol

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm a fellow addict of Fox Run Soaps and Sundries. If you have an issue with dry skin, I suggest you try her whipped body butter. I know that sometimes I get dry hands from washing them too much and other things. So some nights, before I go to bed, I just slather my hands in body butter and my hands are smoother for days.

    Now I sound like a walking ad ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and me both. ;) I've wanted to try her body butter, actually - that and the solid lotion bars she's mentioned once or twice. Been waiting for winter to roll around again.

    ReplyDelete