Friday, September 04, 2009

Franklin Park Conservatory

For the first time in years, I actually went to the conservatory for something other than the Asian Festival, meaning this was the first time I've been *inside* since I took my friend's senior portraits way back in my first year of college. Naturally, I had to bring the camera. Please pardon while I kill your bandwidth with a dozen or so photos.

Photobucket
Right now they have a lot of Chihuly glass on display (see http://www.chihuly.com/ for more of his work). All hand-blown. This is the ceiling of a small section of the Himalayan Mountain exhibit.

Photobucket

Photobucket
I am determined this is where they put the kids that misbehave. Talk about a time-out chair. Beat that, Supernanny!

Photobucket
They were setting up to do a wedding in the palm room. These are some of the lanterns.

Photobucket
Some glass on the Zen Terrace.

Photobucket

Photobucket
I swear this looks like a scene out of Willy Wonka.

Photobucket
Not quite what you usually think of when you hear the term "glass-bottom boat".

Photobucket
The picture didn't turn out quite as pretty as the actual view. I have a strange fondness for ivy.

Photobucket
They had some of the most bizarre orchids I've ever seen.

Photobucket
I also have a fondness for carnivorous plants.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Probably my favorite shot of the whole trip. One of these days I want to have a koi pond.

Photobucket
More of the glass.

Photobucket
One of the few good shots I got of the butterflies.

Photobucket

Photobucket

If anyone is interested in buying prints, let me know and I can direct you to where you can buy them. Only those NOT featuring the Chihuly glass are for sale, as without having permission or finding a blanket permission statement on the artist's website, I don't want to cause trouble. I know as an artist myself I wouldn't want people making money off my work without my permission, so there's a respect issue there.

3 comments:

  1. "They has some of the most bizarre orchids I've ever seen."??

    *pokes you with the grammar stick* :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hush. :P

    The d key and the s key are right next to each other, and I've been tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pink hibiscus is beautiful. Reminds me of Florida.

    ReplyDelete