Saturday, June 20, 2009

Sleepover



Well, storm season is upon us, which means we're back to that time of year where I have to watch the skies, and the weather reports, and vacate the house at the first sign of a tornado warning.

As a general rule, I pack up the cat and head down the road to my parents' house, because they have a basement, as well as a room I can shut their cats away from. My grandparents have a basement too, but no doors to prevent Simba from wandering.

So last night, since the weather was supposed to get nasty around midnight, I hauled the cat down the road, and into my parents' guest room (which used to be my bedroom). It wasn't the first time we've been there, so Simba knew what to expect.

But something was wrong.

One of my family members was unloading a full bed, so my parents got rid of the twin in favor of a bigger one, for more sleeping space.

Simba spent the first hour crying and looking for the old bed.

But that wasn't what kept me awake all night. See, the new bed was raised up so they could put drawers underneath. Also, my cat is fat.

So about 20 times in the middle of the night, as she hopped down for food or to use the litterbox, there was a resounding "thud" that apparently could be heard through the entire house.

And if that didn't wake me up, when she came back onto the bed, rather than picking a spot where I wasn't, she had to make a flying leap and jump right on me to come back up and sleep.

So now we're back home, I'm wide awake, and what's the cat doing?

Sleeping, of course.

3 comments:

  1. Of course she sleeps when you need to be awake and is awake when you want to sleep. She's a cat. That's part of her job. =]

    At least Anubis tends to take a peek to make sure he isn't going to jump on anything bad (including me) before he makes a leap onto the bed.

    He does, however, love to stare at me while I sleep and whuff in my face to wake me up lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's still not as bad as my mom's cat.

    Was sick once as a kid... she let me sleep in her bed so she could keep an eye on me. Her cat walked up in the middle of the night, started *pounding* on my face and yowling at me until I woke up.

    Then he purred his idiot head off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a kid, we had a cat that would sleep on my mother and if she moved too much, he'd smack the crap out of her, right in the face.

    Or, if she fell asleep on the couch, he'd get up on the back of the couch and lower his tail until it brushed her nose. She'd bat at her face and he'd lift up his tail then wait for a few minutes until she was deep asleep again and repeat the process for a good hour. heh

    ReplyDelete